Monday, March 06, 2006

I'm a slacker

Yes, I know. I have slacked once again. It's been a heck of a couple of weeks. I have a major dentist phobia thanks to a jerk pediatric dentist I had as a child. I won't go into everything that happened, but I will say it was enough to scare me enough to have NO desire to return and have someone poke around in my mouth. So, it has been 14 or 15 years since I have been in a dentist office. Before the past couple of years, I never even had a cavity, so there was no big deal...or so it seemed.

Two weeks ago, I had to bite the bullet and call a few people to have a dentist recommended to me. My back right molar had an obvious cavity for a while now, but now there was an additional little hole on the top of the tooth. It wasn't hurting at all, but it was annoying anytime my tongue would accidentally hit that area. I was shaking when I called to make the appointment, but I got it set for last Monday.

I had a full set of x-rays taken. I felt like an idiot. I cried during the x-rays because all of the horrifying memories came back to me and I was worried I was going to be fussed at big time for lack of care of my teeth (my pediatric dentist used to yell at me each time I would come in as well as pull a tooth or two each visit with little numbing involved). I honestly had convinced myself that I would go in and be told all of my teeth need to be removed. I brush my teeth, honest! Twice a day in fact. However, apparently those routine check-ups are a must for me and I didn't do that.

Well, the news was not that bad, but it wasn't great either. I have 8 cavities...well, 9 if you count the one wisdom tooth that popped through while I was pregnant with Cassidy. The one I was worried about and that forced me to make the appointment was the worst of them all. The majority are tiny. He also said that he was unable to tell from the x-ray whether or not the root was effected, and that he could tell more once he got in there and worked on it. He also recommended I see an oral surgeon and have the top left and bottom right wisdom teeth removed. So, the appointment was set for today to fix two cavities on the bottom right side.

I have been scared out of my mind seeing as all experiences with my first dentist were painful. This dentist seemed nice and I had heard he was very patient. All I had to do was raise my hand and he would stop then and there no matter what. Having never had a cavity filled before, I had no real idea what to expect.

I got in there and had to have 2 sets of shots to numb me. The first set was ok, the second set was a little uncomfortable, but not horrible. After I was all numb, the decay was removed. That back molar does have the decay very close to the nerve and when he hit the nerve, OH MY GOODNESS I about jumped out of the chair. It was very sharp pain that radiated through my jaw. He did it two more times, and then stopped and filled the two teeth - one with a composite and the other with a temp filling.

When we were done, he told me if I want to save the tooth I will need a root canal and if I'm not worried about it then it will need to be extracted. He did not give any pros or cons for either scenario, so I have no idea what I will do. He said we will talk about it once we get the rest of the cavities taken care of.

Jacob is currently studying Ancient Egypt. We are reading "Mummies in the Morning" from the Magic Treehouse series. He is really loving it! We discussed pyramids, reviewed a little about what we learned about King Tut, talked about mummies, and went over some vocabulary with various exercises. My favorite part so far was taking a virtual tour of Kufu's pyramid. Turns out it is the same pyramid my father visited many years ago when he was in the navy. Here's a link:
Explore a pyramid

Another thing Jacob is really excited about is the hieroglyphs generator we found. He translated his name and we printed it out. Here's the link we used:
Hieroglyph Generator

I am trying to arrange a time for us to visit a museum with an exhibit on Ancient Egypt.

Joshua has been doing pretty well with socialization classes. We finally got someone from our insurance company to answer the phone and agree to look into doing a single case agreement with our psychologist. They decided it won't be a problem so they are drawing up the contract. I am so happy to hear it!

We took a day trip to see some relatives on Silas' side of the family, Sally and Mike. We had a nice time despite my being under the weather. Jacob had fun playing Legos with their 13 yo son. Joshua took a few minutes to adjust and was fine soon after. He loved playing with their daughter, Melissa. Elena was the same way. Cassie took the longest to adjust, but by the end of our time there, she was fine and seemed to be enjoying herself. The funniest thing though was when Sally said Josh seemed to be the most social out of the bunch. I laughed and told her how ironic it was that she would say that seeing as he is the one that is autistic. LOL So I guess those socialization classes are working better than I even realized they were!

No comments: