Wednesday, March 22, 2006

School update time

Image hosting by Photobucket

Well, Jacob and I have pretty much finished our study of Egypt. It's funny how we see Heiroglyphs on TV, games, in stores and in books all over the place now. I don't necessarily notice them until he points them out to me. We are still tentatively planning a field trip to a museum to fully wrap up the topic. I think he will really enjoy that, as will the other kids.

We are now moving on to the food groupings and food pyramid. We've talked about this in the past, but I want something concrete to show that we did cover it. So, we'll spend a couple of days making a chart and some other projects on that. After that is done we will be trying to make an Easter Lapbook or notebook. I'd like to do a lapbook, but we'll see how much we have at the end and the best way of putting it all together.

Joshua just completed his most recent socialization classes. He was sick for two out of the six due to being sick, which isn't great. However, in the four classes he did attend, he got so much from them. He is so good at remembering the steps he has learned in there and applying them. He is doing much better at initiating play with his siblings and adults. He still has to be reminded to actually play once he asks someone to join him, but he will get there soon, I am sure. He also has improved with letting them know when he is done, but the eye contact during this is still a big thing needing work. There is such a difference in him.

Oh! Another thing that Josh did - we had a playdoh day last Friday. The kids have been wanting to do this for a while and I was feeling rotten and thought that would be a good idea. Why, I don't know...we'll just say I was a little loopy from the Tylenol Severe Allergy medicine I was taking. LOL Anyway, we took out ALL of the playdoh items we had - 13 containers of misc colors of playdoh, all of our playdoh molds and cutters, and Josh's Crayola Dough Car Factory set. Joshua wanted to make a purple car, and naturally that was the only color we did not have. So, I told him we would have to mix some of the colors together to get purple for him to use. We took out the red and blue and I told him he would have to squish them together lots and lots to get it to turn purple. I demonstrated what he would need to do and handed it to him to finish. I fully expected the normal crocodile tears and heartwrenching cries when he touched it, but he didn't do it this time! Instead, he took it right out of my hands and began squishing it together and asking if it looked purple enough yet. I couldn't believe it! Woohoo! It was good to see improvements in this area as well. :)

No comments: