Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Current events

What a mess. The majority of my father's family lives in Southeastern Louisiana where Hurricane Katrina decided to place her wrath. My grandmother and several of dad's siblings are in Houma. They were all ok. Loss of power, shingles and a shed roof were the report from my grandmother, along with a little flooding.

We had a little scare with my Aunt Jan. She lives in New Orleans on the western side of the city. She had evacuated thank goodness, but she had headed back and no one was able to reach her. My grandmother had talked to her and at the time nobody over there had any clue New Orleans is as bad as it is thanks to the lack of power. So, after not being able to reach her for over 24 hours, we were getting a bit worried. She emailed and called mom and told her she went back to Baton Rouge. From what she has heard, her home is ok, but they have no electricity. She will go back once that is restored.

I can not imagine what these poor people there and in Mississippi are going through. One of the girls that posts on the cloth diaper board lives in a town very close to Houma, and she said it is really bad. She had evacuated and on the way home she saw such horrible sights. I can not imagine.

Our hearts and prayers are going out to all who have effects from the storm.

No comments: