Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Wanna hear a secret or two?

First secret is that Silas has an interview on Thursday. The guy in the position above his left the end of July and they are needing to fill it now. Silas applied. It would mean more money, which would be a tremendous help with all this therapy that Joshua is going through, because frankly, it is going to suck us dry at this rate. I haven't really said anything to anyone other than my parents about the interview for fear of jinxing the whole thing, but now that I can no longer keep my mouth shut, prayers would be greatly appreciated. He has also applied to a local hospital as well, and one of the employees put in a good word for him, so maybe something will come of that if this one doesn't work out.

Second secret is only going to be partially given here. heehee You'll have to wait a while for more info because it is in the planning stages still. I have been racking my brain trying to come up with some way of making a little extra money for us to help go towards the cost of the therapy. So, about a month ago, I had come up with the idea of making toothfairy pillows and tossed the idea to my mother who gave me lots of other cute ideas that I could branch out to. Well, my cousin Lacey (who's blog is linked to the right - McInnish Bend) happened to start a new business soon after that called "Tiny Touches" and is making things along the same lines as what I was planning to do - not the same, but similar enough that I don't want to intrude on her business and ideas. (Sometimes I think our brains are molded together or something because we always seem to come up with the same ideas at the same time, which isn't always a bad thing! LOL)

So, I decided to go ahead and try and find something else that I could do, that no one else has cornered the market on. Each time I would come up with something, the idea was everywhere and there was no way in the world I could compete with the people who have been at this for longer than me and are making much fancier versions of what I would be making. Like the swing dresses - yes, I can make them no problem, but there is another mom on the cloth board who makes them with embroidered pockets as well as the embroidered matching diaper. How the heck could I ever compete with that?!

Fast forward to last night - a product suddenly came to me! I have no idea what triggered it exactly, but my mind started racing with it. It is based on an idea I got from playing with Elena. I went online to see if I could find anything else like it and I couldn't! There were other things that were more advanced in style, but not the same at all! I wish I could explain a little bit better, but it would ruin the surprise. ;) I drew out some designs and then emailed my mother with some descriptions to see what she thought about it. She actually liked it and gave me a few other ideas to go along with it! Now, the trick is going to be actually producing a few of the product and see if it looks anything at all like I am envisioning. That may put all of this on hold if I can't get it to look right, which has happened a few times before (such as with my original idea for Brenna's Christmas gift that I am still hoping to eventually figure out how to make!). :)

When you finally see what I have come up with in my head, you are probably going to wonder what the heck all of the fuss is about. LOL It is a really simple thing, and if it turns out the way I see it in my head, it is really simple looking as well. But to me, for some silly reason, it is exciting!

In addition to my little idea, I have also been thinking of making cards. I used to make Pergamano cards, and my mother thinks I could easily make money that way, but I'm not so sure. I'll have to go purchase some new tinta and see what I can come up with. Who knows, maybe there is hope for me yet. ;)

My final idea was to have a holiday shop. I LOVE the holidays - I always think of family. :) I'm still toying with the idea a bit, and I think I could fit the new product into that type of business easily. I say that, but who knows? I may not even be able to produce the thing! ROFL!!! I made my grandparents a wreath for Christmas last year. They didn't want one, but mom insisted, so we went to some craft stores. She told me she wanted us to make them one, but she had no idea how to do it. I told her I'd be happy to make it, so she bought a bunch of things for me to decorate a plain wreath with. I took it home, played around with it, and it turned out pretty good if I do say so myself. They loved it and I don't think they even realized I had made it at the time. So, that is where that idea came from.

Where am I going to sell whatever I decide to go with? That I am not sure on either. My cousins are renting booths at flea markets, so that is an option I suppose. There is always the internet. Or maybe even a combination? We'll see. So much planning is needing to be done, that it just may be something that stays in my little head and the drawing board. Who knows? I don't want to jump in feet first without having a plan though!

Enough ramling from me. I have to go and catch up on some school prep for tomorrow. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How exciting!! I want to be your first customer. I love buying homemade things since I some untalented myself!! I love having unique items that have a special meaning to them.