Saturday, June 03, 2006

Summer break!

I totally forgot to tell you - we are officially taking our summer break! Woohoo! Jacob's evaluation has been scheduled for June 26th, and I am anxious to get it over and done with. The lady we are going to is so nice. She said the only things she is greatly concerned about is math and reading so we need samples of that and anything else he is excited about from this year. No problems there! We have a bunch of photos showing him working on math, some worksheet samples, some handwriting samples, our reading list for the year, resource list, a book for him to read for her. I asked him if there is anything else he would like to add and he wants to add some of our lapbooks. We have to decide exactly which ones he wants to add. He loves those things! Anything else I need? The evaluator will give us the papers that very day for us to fax into the school board office. Woohoo!

I am already starting to plan out next year for Jacob. I want to "plan" out through December for him this month, and then spend next month planning things for Joshua. I already know of some of the things I want to try and do differently this coming year. Instead of our wall timeline which was destroyed by a certain little girl's hands, I think we are going to try some notebooking. Jacob enjoys the lapbooking so much, and actually remembers things he learns with them, that I think notebooking will allow him to retain the info just as much. We also will do more lapbooks of course. I plan to continue with the Magic Treehouse Series. They have such a great range of topics that I think work well for history lessons. We went to the library today and I had him look at the upcoming books. He was really excited about them. :)

I also plan to get Joshua to do some lapbooks this year. He's improved so much with his willingness to touch the "yucky stuff" like glue and playdough and such, that I think he will be able to handle doing them. Of course, this could all very well have to change by that point, and planning is kind of hard to do in regards to Joshua, yet at the same time, everything has to be planned meticulously. I don't know if that makes sense to anyone but me. LOL

I have been busy, busy, busy lately with my scrapping. I am trying to get pages for my grandfather and other family members put together. I tell ya, it takes me ages to get one page done sometimes. Mostly because I take forever to find what papers and elements I am going to use with what pictures. It doesn't help that I am sooo disorganized with my downloaded kits. There has to be a better system, but I haven't found what will work for me yet.

I attended another newbie chat at RAKScraps. They are great there. I really enjoy posting with a friendly and helpful bunch. 90% of the time my questions have already been answered so I don't have to show them how little I know. heehee Anyway, we have the same assignment, just with a new scraplift. Should be fun.

I also have submitted a kit to be used as a part of a huge kit for Down Syndrome Awareness. Anyone who makes a donation to one of three charity groups will get the kit for free. It is set to be released mid-June, and when it is, I will be sure to add the link and info for you. Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Other than that, I don't get as much time as I would like to scrap. I did do the latest RAK sketch challenge though. Here is my page:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Credits: Muted Blue Kit Created by AllS. Font: Arial

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Credits: April 06 RAK Mega Kit contributions by Mrs. Schmuck, Jane Atwell, and Ginger Thibodeau


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I love this photo of Jacob holding Elena. He was so proud of his baby sister and I feel his love for her really comes out in this photo.

Credits: April 06 RAK Mega Kit contributions by Mrs. Schmuck, CWyckoff, and kmcdonald

Oh!
I totally forgot to mention that I actually won something! I did the June Treaure hunt and Gallery Mixer at RAKScraps last night and my name was drawn for a 25% off coupon at d2D. Was I ever surprised by that! I was so excited and after much debating I decided to buy the Morning Glory kit. It is so pretty, and I can not wait to use it! December is so sweet and helpful and I will definitely buy from her again. :)

Here is my first attempt at using this kit...I'm going to play around with the layout a bit more. I'm not totally happy with what I did. Don't you just love those bright colors though?!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Credits: Morning Glory kit by d2D - dedicated2digital.com


Well, to end this, I wanted to post a link to a summer reading program through Build-A-Bear Workshop. The kids need to read 6 books between now and July 31 in order to receive a $5 gift card to their store. Not a bad deal, and very achievable!

Build-A-Bear Workshop Summer Reading Program

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey there! Lucky you! We will be homeschooling through the summer and Brooke will be evaluated in early August. Do you have a blog showing Jacob's progress? Just asking because you seem to have lots of wonderful ideas that could be great inspiration for me! Hope everything is going great for you! Hugs, Kim

Melissa said...

Thanks! You know, when I started this blog, I planned to track Jacob's work each day, and for some reason, this totally turned into something else. LOL I do plan on doing more school blogging this coming year though. Maybe I will make a seperate one specifically for his schooling. I think he would enjoy seeing his own little space to show off his projects and work. Thanks for that idea! :) Once I get it set up, I'll be sure to post the link here. ;)