Monday, January 09, 2006

Back to school!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Well, we are back to school. Jacob did his journal entry and we moved on to math. I thought I would just do some review of the addition and subtraction that he had a good grasp on before Christmas. We had major crocodile tears. I can not figure out why he has such a mental block when it comes to math. After struggling to get through it for the day (an hour for 4 short worksheets, I kid you not), we moved on to social studies. We love social studies around here, so that went smoothly. We ended with his reading two chapters of the next Magic Treehouse book and his summing it up for me afterwards.

Joshua's school day mainly revolved around beginning reading. I decided to try the same method I used with Jacob, but I will likely focus on one set of words for a few days as opposed to a new set each day like I did with Jacob. Today we started with the word at. I told him what it was and had him look at it and repeat it. Below that I wrote at again and had him watch as I added the letter b in front of it. I asked him if he remembered what sound the b made. He didn't, so I made the sound myself and had him repeat it. I then explained to him that we could take the "b" sound and add it to the "at" and make a word. We put it together and he got so excited. It was really cute to watch. We then did cat, hat, mat, sat, that (which takes some work since he does not properly say the "th" sound yet), and fat. Yes, I left some off, like pat, but we will get to them eventually. ;)

Tommorow will be a crazy day. We have to get up insanely early and get the boys' bloodwork done. One of the many tests being run requires them to fast, so the earlier the better. Once that is done, we'll go get some breakfast and then wait around for a couple of hours to get Jacob's wrist x-ray done. This will give the doctor an idea of his bone age and maybe give some other insight to why he has stopped growing. I'm not worried about the x-ray, but the bloodwork should be LOADS of fun with my two sons. Wish us luck!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi again! Good luck tomorrow! I hope everything goes smoothly for you...