Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Josh's appointment today - homeschooling critique

I didn't mention I was going in today because I was SOOOO nervous about it. The psych had mentioned that she would like to have an appointment with me to go over the details of our homeschooling and see if I had any questions or needed any suggestions on things. I think secretly she wanted to be sure early on that this really was the right decision for Joshua. LOL

So, I went in and showed her our current lapbook on rabbits which she thought was a neat idea and very hands on for him. We then talked about the OT and ST and how the first ST evaluated him incorrectly. She couldn't believe some of the things I was told by the first therapist and she was very happy to hear we have a new one now.

I gave her a copy of our schedule and she was totally blown away by how well it was planned out. She even commented that not only was it great that I had spread things out the way I did and broke up the activities in the manner I did, but to think I had 3 other kids was really amazing. LOL

We then talked about the goals I had set and the accomodations I have been making for Josh. She said that my accomodations are wonderful and very appropraite for him, and the goals were great and right on target. She gave me a list of things from a test they give so that I could figure out where he needs to be on a more detailed level for his age, which was wonderful! She added a few things I hadn't thought about (mainly in socialization areas - like reading emotions and facial expressions) and then said my overall program I have set up was wonderful! YAY!!!

She was really happy that there was a change in routine today and yet no meltdown from Josh - this was a huge improvement! She also commented that his eye contact was fantastic today, so she can tell we have really been working on that a lot. She is planning on starting the socialization classes up again in October, so I can hardly wait to see how he improves in there.

So, as we were walking out the door, I asked her if she thought it was still a good idea that I am definitely homeschooling him and not sticking him in the system. She told me again my program is wonderful, and then added that he is getting much more at home with me than any school system would be providing him right now. I told her how nervous I was to go in and talk with her today because I was worried I wasn't doing enough. She laughed and said that there are a few people she wishes she could send to me! LOL How awesome is that?

So, now I feel validated I guess...and relieved. I am so happy to see that all of this is really for the best and not me just thinking it is, kwim? And I am so happy to have such a great psych for Joshua that really cares enough to meet with us like she did and offer honest opinions on things. Anyway, I was so excited that I had to come share real quick. LOL

Other than that, all has been going well. Elena is really keeping me on my toes now that she is walking. I can't get over how quickly she has done it. She also stands up in the middle of the floor without anything to help her get up. She has been watching the kids so much, and I think she just sort of soaks it up like a sponge, thinks about what she wants to do for a few days, and then can suddenly do it...no trial and error for her, no sir! I think I have a perfectionist on my hands.

Cassidy is a real pistol this week too. She has decided that jumping on the bed at naptime is a good way to pass the time. She will be utterly exhausted, but yet once I leave the room she is up and clearing off the bed for bouncing. Silly girl.

And Jacob is doing great. He is adding and subtracting with little trouble now. He has taken to reading the bedtime story at night to the younger kids. It's cute really. He also is still really great with the drawing. We are supposed to be getting a bunny tomorrow for his 4H project, so we have been talking about rabbits this week and learning the proper care and feeding of them. I am hoping this bunny will be a good match for our family, because he is really excited about it. Carrie told me the rabbit was raised by a homeschooling family and is "litter trained. leash trained, and kid-proof" That's some bunny, eh? LOL So hopefully this will be a better idea than I am thinking it will be at the moment. Something tell me I'm going to have this as my 5th child to care for.

No comments: