Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Return to Socialization Classes

My current mood: Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Yesterday began series 2 of Joshua's socialization classes. Ms. G. didn't say a whole lot about how they did. She said Josh did good, he got a sticker for each activity, so I guess that should be enough. *shrug* She mentioned that they were introduced to the talking stick....whoever is holding it gets to take a turn talking, then they pass it to another person and it is then their turn to talk. That's all she said about it. We left, and as we were walking onto the elevator, there was an older gentelman standing in there. We walked on and out of nowhere, Joshua looked him stright in the eyes and said "Hi! My name is Joshua!" And he never shut up. LOL For those who have never heard Joshua speak, he has a VERY booming voice. So, for three floors he spoke. As we were getting off, the gentleman laughed and said he has two volumes - on and off. LOL We had to giggle about it.

We checked out and headed to the van. I asked questions, trying to find out anything I could about their 45 minute session. I got no real answers. I continued my questioning on the way to pick up the other kids. I finally asked him what color the stick was. He told me it was grey. That surprised me because most grey things he labels as silver. Then, out of the blue, he told me, "I don't like the talking stick". LOL Silly boy doesn't like having to be quiet and listen. ;)

So, I see progress again. Unfortunately, Ms. G made no mention of the excellent eye contact he has been displaying for me and others lately. She also made no mention of spontaneous conversation, and of course she missed him in the elevator. I don't know if she didn't think to mention it or if he doesn't show any progress when in her office or what.

I also found out yesterday that I will be babysitting again. This time it will be for one of Silas' co-workers. She has a 7 year old boy and has asked me to watch him during the month of July. I figure it will be nice for the boys to have someone new to play with, especially Jacob. And maybe it will help Joshua a bit as well. :) I hope he gets along with my kids. Keeping my fingers crossed on that! I think it will be a little easier than having another baby to watch. I say this, but I am sure that the boys together will find ways to be a handful. ;)

No comments: