Thursday, December 08, 2005

Doctors, Doctors, Doctors

A few of you knew I was going to be going to the ped today. Here's what happened...

Jacob- We went for him to have a growth check. I don't know if you remember my telling you way back in May, but the ped was having us supplement his diet with Carnation GoodStart Shakes in hopes that he would gain weight. He has been steadily dropping from the 90th% on the growth charts in both height and weight, to now being in the 25th% for weight and the 2-3% for height now. :( So we now are going to be having his thyroid tested, an x-ray to determine his bone age, and some other tests, including testing for Celiac Disease. I personally feel this may be what we are looking at, because he has a lot of symptoms. Time will tell. Regardless, he will be seeing an endocronologist. It could very well be thyroid given we have a strong family history of problems, including myself. She said she feels it is definitely something familial going on and that she may be jumping the gun a bit, but would rather catch it now than later.

Funny story about his check-up...Dr. V asked Jacob how school was going and if he liked it. He said yes. Then she asked if he likes his teacher and he said yes, so then she asked what her name is and he replied "Mommy". She forgot I homeschool, so she asked him again, thinking he misunderstood the question, and he told her again. So she rephrased the question. This time he said, "Her name is Melissa". LOL She looked at me a little strangely and I reminded her I homeschool him. She started laughing and said she finally understood why he was so confused about her questions. LOL

Joshua - He did so well! Not a single tear during the check-up, and the ped was excited to see how social he is now compared to how he was last year. I made a picture schedule so he would know exactly what to expect during the check-up. It could not have gone more perfectly! He had to get three shots - one in each leg and one in the arm. It was funny, because he thought they were tickling him when they were doing the ones in his leg, so he laughed the entire time - no tears at all! The one in the arm did hurt though (the MMR), so he did scream....plus he saw it coming. LOL He is having his thyroid tested as well, because he too has dropped a little more than 2 curves on the growth chart. Ugh. So, the children's clinic should set up a room with our name, seeing as we are there literally all day once a week for therapy and socialization classes...and now an endo. :P

Elena - She is now 27 pounds and leveling off in her growth. Thank goodness, because my back can't take much more. LOL We are going to be taking her to a dentist. She has two small spots on her two top front teeth, and the ped thinks there is either some damage to the enamel or the start of cavities. I have no idea what it is since we have never seen anything like it with the other kids.

So, apparently no break for me in the near future as far as appointments go. I am sooo tired! I have been thinking that my own thyroid is in need of being tested, so after our new insurance kicks in, I will likely be meeting my new primary physician (I actually know him personally already, just not as my doctor) and then get a referral to an endo myself. The fun never ends. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I pray that everything is ok with Jacob. I had no idea. Please keep us posted. The story about the teachers name cracked me up! Too cute!! LOL! What cute kids you have! Ok, so with this new year coming up I am praying that you don't have to be spending half your life at the doctors and I am going to be in prayer for that. I want you and your family healed! You deserve an AWESOME New Year! ~Monique