Thursday, April 07, 2005

Long day

Meemaw, my grandmother, is in the hospital. She does not appear to be doing well at all one minute, and then the next she is sharp-tongued and laughing. Then a few minutes later she is passed out in the hospital bed. It is hard seeing her like this. I spent three hours with her tonight, feeding her ice chips, keeping her and the other family members company, and trying to bite my tongue on many things.

Biting my tongue takes a lot of effort these days. It is hard having to see the irresponsibility of people who are taking care of my grandmother - a former nurse - in the nursing home and at times, the hospital. She has been written off by doctors who could have offered her a very possible cure. It is sickening to think about, and even more sickening to know that those people can keep a clear conscious about the situation.

There are some wonderful people who have taken care of her though, and I try not to forget about that. We have had an aid, Pam, that was gentle and very caring for almost two years. There have been some wonderful nurses. Today, Meemaw's nurse was named Angel, and my family took that as a positive sign....and she seemed to live up to her name while I was there. And then there was a wonderful PA who performed the spinal tap on Meemaw in the ER last night....he basically did it blind from what my aunt said, and he was not only gentle with Meemaw, but also took the time and made the effort to let her know every step he was going to take just before he did it.

So, there are some good ones out there. I can only hope that they outweigh the bad.

No comments: