Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Finally! My endocrinology appointment

Ok, he went by the blood test and ultrasound results from back in April. That was BEFORE my dietary changes and the huge changes in my cholesterol and such. He has no idea what those results were showing, so everything we are doing right now could completely change after my bloodwork later this month.

I am a pre-diabetic, which I knew. My thyroid is 1 1/2 times the normal size (the goiter) but he wants to repeat the bloodwork for all of that before deciding what to do. The nodules that showed up on the ultrasound are small in size, common, and sometimes not really nodules when you are dealing with Hashimoto's disease (an autoimmune disorder that runs in familes and my mother happens to have). He is in agreement with my primary doctor that this is likely something I have, and it explains why before when I was placed on Synthroid that I would flip flop between hypo and hyper thyroidism. From what he said, if I were a normal person (yes, that is what he said ROFL) then when they would give me the Synthroid my body should have used what it needed of the hormone and then stopped producing any extra, but my body did not. So, mine would simply keep doing it and this caused the hyper-thyroid results. The reason everything balanced out with my pregnancies is that the baby is half dad's genes, so therefore it helps to control my levels and symptoms. Since I am no longer having pregnanices, my body is giving me issues again. Further testing will prove it one way or the other, but the reasoning made perfect sense when he explained it to me.

He did a thorough exam, including some quick neurological testing. I passed with no problem. He checked my goiter well, and then we talked a while.

He believes I have Metabolic Syndrome in addition to the thyroid autoimmune issue. He is basing this on the extremely high cholesterol tests (again, before my changes were made), the high glucose test readings, the way my weight is distributed (mainly my belly seemed to be an issue though I am huge all over). He has put me on Metformin, which is a drug they use for diabetics, but have found it helps people like me. He described two other drugs that we may eventually use as well. This one is supposed to have weightloss as a side effect, but my mother said it never helped her any. LOL Guess we will see. He said that this would help explain why I didn't lose any weight just from the diet changes. He also cleared me to exercise again, so hopefully that will help, and as he mentioned could be a factor in that as well.

I go in next month for a dietician consult and then the beg of Dec I will have another appointment with him and I guess he will decide what to do about the thyroid at that time.

Just before he left he asked about that weird liver test that the lab did and that my doctor never ordered. He said it came back abnormal and that it is a test for cirrhosis of the liver, but at the same time my liver function tests were normal, so he was really quite confused about that as well. He mentioned repeating that test, but they didn't mark it down on my lab slip. I may call to ask about that or wait and see what he says in December.

I think that was about it. Not really anything I didn't know already, and like I said, everything could still change after I get the bloodwork done in a couple of weeks. Of course, the meds being added was new too.

2 comments:

Lora said...

Melissa, I hope that the Metformin works well for you. I hate to hear that you are having such a hard time with all of this. I hope that everything gets straightened out soon and that if they do the liver test again that it comes out to be normal. Get Well Soon!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

My goodness, I thought I had commented already!

I'm sorry to hear about all that you are going through, but hopefully they will get to the bottom of all of it, and whatever they prescribe will work for you.