Saturday, April 01, 2006

Josh's Progress Report

I spoke to the psych about how Josh did in his socialization classes this time around. He did pretty good, and she noticed improvements in the same areas I did. She said in the beginning there was the resistance that she expected and she attributes that to the fact that most of the kids were older and more advanced, so he had to play catch up and that posed a challenge. He did step up though, and did what he needed to do, so that was good.

Speech was not so good this week. I had my mother bring Josh last week because I was feeling so rotten still. I gave her the entire routine to follow...told her which entrance to go through, where to try to get a parking place, etc. And it went so wonderfully that it was joked that she should bring him every time. Basically, he was ecstatic about riding in my mother's van. He has a ton of family members with minivans - me, my mother, my father, my MIL - yet, the only van he gets overly excited about is my mom's "blue bird". So, it was an extra special day as far as he was concerned, because he rarely gets to ride in her van.

So, this week it was back to me bringing him. It went horrible. He went in ok, and it looked like it would be a great session. He ran straight over tothe OT steps like he does every session...he looked out the window to check on the "fans" (part of the building's air conditioning system) and then we were off to the little speech room. Same routine as every other week we are there.

We walked in and something set him off. He went to sit in the chair but noticed the toys on the shelves were different than he thought they should be. I didn't notice any big changes, but he mentioned a bus was missing. Then he was convinced that Ms. J. had stolen one of the toys from the "duster's office". I explained that he meant the dentist office. I don't think Ms. J. was ever able to convince him that she didn't take it and it was her own.

Anyway, he was grouchy the rest of the time. Ms. J. always starts out by reading a book or two. The first book she read was one they have done a minimum of 4 times now, and he knows what to do. It is "Elmo's Guessing Game". The first page was about Elmo needing to go into the snow and wanting to know what he needed to do so. On the second page Josh was given about 5-6 choices of objects to choose from - I think there was a plant, snow boots, and a few other options. Josh chose the plant and then a few other things that he knew were not the right answer. Another page asked what Elmo needed to walk across the street safely. The right answer was an adult or mommy, and he chose a cactus plant. He has never gotten these wrong before, so it was painfully obvious he was just giving wrong answers on purpose.

It was interesting though that when she was reading an animal alphabet book, he totally showed he knew his sounds. I was shocked. We have worked on this, but he has never been one to show that he has actually learned something without a LOT of probing. She started out with telling him that A was for aardvark. Being in the grouchy mood he had suddenly gotten into, he told her "No it isn't. A is for apple!" I had to laugh, because up until now I had no idea he actually knew that. Later on he also stated that F was for flower and J is for Jacob. He refused to say J was for Joshua...go figure.

So, as we were leaving I asked Ms. J. if she knew what set him off and she said no. I have no idea either. When we left I got in the van and cried. It is so frustrating having a really good week when I am not there. I feel like it reflects on me. He has had good weeks with me there, but it seems to be a growing problem that his mood becomes grouchy when we go to speech. My mother thinks we need a break from therapy for a little while. I hate to do that though with us being so close to being caught up. Plus, if we take too long of a break we will have trouble getting back into the same therapist. I haven't decided what we will do yet. I think I will talk to Ms. J. about it next week and see what she thinks.

Speaking of Joshua, My latest layout was of him:
Image hosting by Photobucket

Credits: Shabby Princess Kit - Sweet Serenity

No comments: