Saturday, February 18, 2006

Shopping - my frugal habits

Image hosting by Photobucket

I have been having way too much fun lately. I love a good deal! I live in the land of no regular doubles. We have one fairly new store that doubles 3 days a week, and I have yet to make it over there. They bought out a chain that was known for overpricing everything, so I guess knowing what it used to be has kept me away thus far. I am going to make it a point to go in one of them before February ends.

Anyway, I mentioned in my last post that Cassie and I went shopping this week. I'm a big spender. Spent a total of $1.30. LOL However, for that $1.30 I came home with 2 huge Herbal Essence Conditioners, 2 full size bottles of Herbal Essence Shampoos, and a full sized bottle of Finesse Shampoo. There is a ton of stuff on clearance at CVS right now, and when combined with coupons, it is a bargain!

Then last night my mother and I went shopping. We hit one of the CVS stores and spent about 1 1/2-2 hours in there. BUT, here is what I got - 10 boxes of hair coloring (Herbal Essence, L'Oreal, Garnier, etc), a bottle of Shout stain remover, and a full sized bottle of L'oreal kid's shampoo. Grand total after tax - $1.78!

So, after that, we hit Target. We had a blast there too. My biggest expenses there were two Barbie and the Magic of Pegasus dolls that I had been eyeing for a while for the girls. Even Elena loves Barbie dolls (without accessories, of course), so couldn't pass them up for half price! Using coupons, I also got a trial sized bottle of Tide for 1/2 price, a box of Herbal Essence hair color (like I needed more) for .24, trial sized Edge shaving gel for free, and 2 protein bars for .67. After a few other misc items, my total came up to about $20.

After that we hit another CVS. This one didn't turn out as well for me, but I still did pretty good. The friendly cashier decided to try and help me out by giving me back coupons because it would only use .80 of the $3.00 coupon, so she thought it would be better for me to come back and get it free. The way she worded things confused me - I wanted her to use the coupon because it would make it free as opposed to .80. If I had made two seperate trips it would have been free, so what is the difference if she took it now or later? {shrug} Oh well, 'tis done now. She jipped me $5 off my purchase by handing me back coupons I wanted to use because she thought she was "helping". I came out of there with 4 boxes of various hair color, 2 huge bottles of VO5 Nourishing Oasis conditioner, 2 Dove Styling Mousse, 1 Suave bodywash, 1 Dove shampoo, and 2 L'Oreal Kids shampoos. My total before coupons and clearance savings was $34.43 - my total paid was $16.75. Not as great a deal, but not horrid either.

So, we are set on shampoo and conditioner for a while. And if anyone needs hair color, let me know. ;)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are some awesome deals, I wish I could have gotten in on that! I love shopping at CVS also, I snagged some fingernail polish while waiting on a prescription the other day for 75% off! Love it, Love it!
Is it Rowes that does the doubles?

Melissa said...

Yes, they do doubles Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Or at least they were. I hope it wasn't a temporary thing! And Harris Teeter in Mandarin does as well, but I have never found anything there that has made it worth the trip for me. Have you been in Rowes?

Oh! And my mother was told that by a Winn Dixie employee that WD may start doubling soon! Woohoo! I hope it is true!

Anonymous said...

No, I haven't been to Rowes but for doubles I may have to make the trip. I am all about saving some money and love coupons. If Winn-Dixie would start, I would be in heaven! Thanks for the info!!!

Me said...

dude, what color hair dye you have?? lol. I need some dark brown, so my hair will match my roots. lol. Great job on deals. Darryl would LOVE being married to you! or having you teach me how to do that!!