Thursday, November 17, 2005

Mommy knows best

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

This is the lesson that we learned yesterday. :)

I mentioned how much trouble we have been having with the OT and speech therpaies lately. It's really been bad and I leave feeling as if we just need to stop wasting the time, money, and energy by continuing.

OT was about typical yesterday. I'm not real sure what Mindy was thinking yesterday during the second half when she took Josh into a small room for less distractions, and yet there was a disco ball turning in the corner. Umm, yeah, less distraction for sure. LOL But we made it through and Josh demonstrated his tracing skills for her with much hesitation. At the end we talked for a while. She thinks he is doing pretty well, but is stubborn and said that she knows it must get frustrating sometimes dealing with him. Yep, some days more than others, and some days he does great. But from what I can tell all kids are like that, right?

Speech went much better. I reminded Jessica that we were going to try the weighted vest and she brought him to get it. From there Josh led us to the ST room and she finally managed to get his attention to show him the picture schedule that she had made for him. It had 6 pictures - chair, book, questions, snack, play, and sticker - all attached nicely to a file folder. Other than one little part where she wanted him to use a marker to circle the answers and he refused very angrily, it went great! And the only reason that was so horrible is because he just spent the last half of OT doing the markers and you can't do that much of the same activity that close together. She seemed happy that it actually did work and she is planning to use it with him from now on in hopes that it will continue to help.

Of course, socialization class went horrible to make up for the good therapy. LOL I talked to the psych afterwards, and she told me if I ever want her to walk over and talk to the therapists she would be happy to do so. I love how much she cares and is always going the extra mile for Josh. :) She totally backed me on his needing the schedule. Joshua needs to know what to expect, and it isn't exactly easy for me to prepare him when I haven't a clue what to expect myself each week!

So, we have next week off from everything. It feels like Christmas vacation is coming since we have a three day school week. Geez, I can't believe how fast this school year is flying!

Jacob is doing so well with his reading and I am so proud of him. We are a little behind in math but have been concentrating on it a lot the past two weeks to try and catch up. Our thankful tree is going well. We also have a poem we read each day about Thanksgiving where they can change some of the words each day, and all of the kids think that is fun.

Cassidy is on and off potty training. I'm not pushing her, but on days that she wants to skip diapers I try and encourage her as much as possible.

Elena is running lately...and talking up a storm. We have no idea what she is saying the majority of the time now, but there are some definite things that we have deciphered. Here are some of the things she is saying now:

Jacob - "Jay-jaw"
Joshua - "jaw-jaw" - soooo close to Jacob..you have to really look at who she is talking to at the time
Peek-a-boo - "pee-boo"
Bye-Bye
Cookie - something similar LOL
Daddy - she has never said dada - she has always said daddy...so odd!
Mama
cup
Hey there!
Thank you

...along with a host of other things that I'm not thinking of right now. She tries saying the blessing with the other kids at mealtime, which is too sweet! She also gives us five or ten when she does something good. Oh! And can this child dance! The slightest hint of music and those hips of hers start going from side to side. She cracks me up! Sometimes they go so far from side to side that she knocks herself over. It always makes me smile. :)

No comments: