Monday, October 17, 2005

What's the latest?

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Ok, so I was informed last nnight that I have been a slacker. LOL Not really, but it was hinted at by April that I needed to update this thing. LOL So, here is what we have been up to.

Joshua turned 5 years old on the 13th. I did slack off there and have not yet posted his birthday pic like I did with the other kids. Here it is though!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The kids attended their first Circus a couple of weekends ago. My mom got free tickets to see the Shriner's Circus, so all of us, my parents, Willie, Glenn and his grilfriend, Mel, and my grandfather all went and had a great time. The kids loved it. Joshua was very distracted by all of the flashing lights. I tried very hard to get him to notice something other than the lights...he couldn't focus on the trapeeze artists because they were too far away from us compared to the lights, but I tried anyhow. Most of the acts were that way. He did like the horses and they caught his attention because they came out to the rings directly in front of us. We had to sit off to the side a good bit, basically the end of the aufitorium, but where we were turned out to be a pretty cool spot for Joshua. We were the closest people to the act where a motorcycle was attached to a highwire. A man drove it up to where we were sitting, and below the cycle was a long swing hanging down and a young woman was sitting on it. Eventually she stood up and he did as well, and they turned the bike completely upside down. Ugh, my stomach churned watching it, but Joshua was so excited. LOL And in true Joshua form, he later informed me that it was his favorite part of the show. :)

School is going well. Jacob is way too smart sometimes. We have been finishing school pretty early these days. Right now we are going through common fairy tales. It's amazing how many of the details of some of these I totally forgot through the years. For instance, the story of Rapunzel. I honestly did not remember the witch trapping the prince into climbing the braid and then knocking him into thorns and causing him to go blind. Maybe I had the non-violent, rated G version growing up. :P Who knows? I know it has been quite interesting though.

We also have just started talking about the discovery of North and South America. I was trying really hard to hold out until Novemeber to do this, but Jacob has really been enjoying the history and geography lessons. So, we started that today. He was a bit upset about hearing how the Spaniards took over the land that the Indians had been on for so long.

I've been taking a break from science the past 2 weeks. We had such a focus on it so far, that I wanted to sort of sit it out a bit. Shame on me. But he hasn't seemed to mind it too much.

We had a field trip to an art museum since I last posted. Jacob and I will be going back again alone to really be able to focus. Joshua didn't want to be there, Jacob was grouchy and fighting with everyone including me, and the girls did ok. They have a very nice hands-on area for the kids and they really enjoyed it...It made it a bit difficult to do the other "no-touch" parts of the museum afterwards though! LOL Unfortunately, I had never been to the museum before, so I happened upon the wrong area first. I know for any future excursions now though!

This weekend was a lot of fun. Silas, the kids, and I all drove out to Downtown Disney to meet up with a couple of my August board buddies. Hard to believe, but we have been posting on a mom's board since we found out we were pregnant with our August 2004 babies. So that means it has been a year and 9 months! Wow! Anyhow, one of the moms lives all the way in England, and her family was visiting Disney World and staying in FL for 2 weeks. So, another mom from GA had her family come down to meet up on the same day and we had a really nice time! The kids did great and it was so much fun getting to actually meet some people I have been talking to for ages. And all of the kids were wonderful and they seemed to enjoy the meetup as much as we did! The mom from GA and I live so close that we are planning to get together again soon. :) Her oldest is 3 years old, and Jacob said he really enjoyed getting to ride on the train ride with her. LOL Here is a group photo from our adventure...(the men were all behind the cameras.)

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

2 comments:

Gracie, Abby, Mommy and Daddy said...

Ahh, the Saratoga Springs Resort in the backgroud is quite the site. Mommy, daddy and I were in DT Disney a couple weeks ago. Looks like your weather was nicer than ours. Did the kids like the Lego creations?

Good to see you and the kids are doing well and learning fast. Way to go. I have enjoyed reading your blog.

Take care.

Gracie

Anonymous said...

Awww, Happy 5th b-day J! Such a cute little boy! I am so glad to hear how well school is going. I want to be in your class! I could use a few lessons over again. LOL!
I enjoyed reading about your trip to the circus! Hearing about Joshua always makes me smile. You do such great things with them! They are blessed! And you know how excited I am that you got to meet some of our mom's in person! It feels like it had been longer than 1 year and 9 months! Monique