Friday, October 28, 2005

Homeschooling - an educational experience for the kids AND me

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

All that know me know that I have mentioned before how I received little to no history education in my years in the public school system. The only history class where I learned about history was my Western Civ class during college. I have never been so lost in my entire life! Everyone else in the class had some form of history in their past. Not only did I have to try and learn all of the new info, I many times had to try and find some sort of knowledge everyone else was taught in high school to catch me up to what we were learning in high school. How I walked away with a C in that class, I have no idea. I think that my professor had mercy on me and wanted to just get me out of the class and not repeat it. LOL

Well, here I am homeschooling my children, and where elementary math and reading are a breeze to teach Jacob, history is a challenge since I don't have the background I should have. However, I am learning so much by teaching him recently that I am enjoying it as much as he is! It seriously is becoming one of my favorite subjects to teach each day. We are currently studying the discovery of America and I have learned quite a bit this week. I feel so smart! LOL

I think we are going to do a unit study next week on Indian tribes. Jacob is interested and I have developed an interest as well. Should be fun! So, off to prepare. LOL I love it when I come up with something that was not in my original plans for the year. :)

We also did our first pumpkin carving. Jacob helped me choose a face to use and then I had all of the kids help scoop out the insides. Cassie was the only one that truly seemed to enjoy it. Jacob didn't like the icky feeling (I think I need to start doing the sensory activities with him again) and Joshua wanted absolutely nothing to do with scooping it. Elena enjoyed pretending to help. Mainly she held the spoon and looked cute. :) Here are some pics of the kids with our creation.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is such a great pumpkin! :) We never manage to do a really good job of carving ours - always ends up looking a bit goofy lol!

Me said...

I love your cookie cutters with the pumpkin!! they are adorable!! I love the Thankful Tree idea. that is awesome! cant wait to see pics when it's finished!!

Anonymous said...

Oh how cute!! The pictures are so fun! And that's great that you are teaching yourself while teaching the kids. I need to enroll in your classes. Can you make them available online??? Now that's a business idea!! -Monique