Monday, August 21, 2006

ARGH!!!!!

Ok, this construction in my backyard is seriously going to drive me to the nut house! Let me give you a visual to explain a little of why I am complaining.

This is my backyard the afternoon after a hurricane came through our area in August of 2004. It's a mess, but you get to see what the trees that once existed look like. Notice this is from my garage door, and also notice the blue pipe which was sitting in a large ditch. Note also the amount of shade we received from all of these trees.



Now, here is what my backyard looks like as of week before last. Note the lack of a ditch, because a bunch of nice workers in trucks came and filled it in for us. Notice the bright orange truck that was kind enough to pull up a tree from next to our fence and then almost managed to drop onto my house. Also note the wonderful pile of pulled trees (you only see a portion of the long trail here) that they decided to burn this weekend. The smell of smoke in my house was wonderful (being sarcastic here) and the haze was such a wonderful sight - I really think this is probably half the reason Cassie and Jacob are both quite hoarse since that day. And while you are looking at this, imagine the feeling of the trees being pulled and thrown around like little lincoln logs, but on a MUCH grander scale. My house literally shakes all day long when they are out there working. My dog goes balistic because these workers are literally right at my fence. It's a whole lotta noise and a whole lotta shaking in the neighborhood!



Now, flash to today. I wake up to very low water pressure, which is not an uncommon thing when you have all the construction going on. At 9am it was low enough that I was not able to shower or do laundry, both of which were in need of being done. At noon, I fixed the kids their lunch and discovered we had absolutely NO WATER! Nothing, nada, zip. Nary a drop could be found. I was fuming now. So I call the water company to find out what's up. Nobody had reported a probalem, so the woman was sending out a ticket. I explained I had four small children and no water with them here was a very bad combination. She apologized and said they would send someone out as soon as possible. Here in my city, that is usually translated into a minimum of 2-3 hours before it is even looked into.

Joshua was panicked about not being able to wash his hands, Jacob's imagination was completely running away with him as to what would happen if we turned on the faucet with no water at the house....I have no idea what he thought was going to happen, but he was scared to try turning it on. The girls could have cared less...it meant no bath today, so they were happy. LOL So, I headed over to my mother's house for the remainder of the day. Luckily, we had finished school by the time this happened. The water was fixed by the time Silas got home.

So, now that I have explained a little more what our big complaint is right now, I guess you can imagine what it is like trying to get my highly distractable, autistic child to concentrate on doing school of any sort. I mean, it is hard enough for any of us to think some days with all the noise and shaking, but then for poor Joshua whose senses are extremely heightened...man, I feel for him.

So, hopefully they will finish all of this majorly annoying construction projects soon.

5 comments:

C said...

Sorry if you already posted this answer somewhere, but, why are they clearing out all of your trees anyway?

I'm sorry that you have so much noise there, you know, you could always move to my neighborhood. It's pretty quiet in farm country! ;)

Melissa said...

I may have left out the reasoning accidentally. They apparently decided we needed new homes back behind us rather than the trees. Why they needed the trees all the way by my fence removed is beyond me. The only trees they left were the ones that are actually growing through my fence or that have the roots on my side. I think it's a secret ploy to get more money from us. Our electric bill has gone up now that we lost all that shade. It gets pretty hot now in the middle of the day and our poor air conditioner doesn't seem to be able to handle it as well as it was before. Add that to no water yesterday and it is a BAD situation. ;)

As much as I would love to live near you, I think the cold weather in the winter where you are would do us all in. My husband gripes about how cold it gets here the entire 2 weeks it is truly cold each year...can you imagine what he'd be doing up there? LOL

C said...

Aw, girl, I'm really sorry bout that. We don't have any shade trees either, just two small trees about 4 years old, so I know what happens to your air conditioner bill. :(

I know you guys don't like the cold, and that means you wouldn't move up here...

BUT...
how do you know that the house being built behind you isn't mine? ;) LOL

:X Love ya!

Amydeanne said...

That looks crazy!

Gracie, Abby, Mommy and Daddy said...

Sorry to hear about the construction drama. I hope they get it cleares up so that you can have your sanity back soon.

Blog looks great. Your scrapping is coming along nicely. The kids also look like they are doing well. I commend you on your ability to stay home with them and teach. We have had Grace with us for the week now along with Abbey and we find that we are quite boring parents. I think Grace is really looking forward to getting back to school.

Take care...

Dave